Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
There are not many things that are easier to make than “Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Squares”. A quick and easy treat that I’ve always had on my Holiday Baking List but because the regular Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal has gluten, I had to find a substitute. I picked up some Natures Path Crispy Rice Cereal but I wasn’t sure if these new brown rice GF Crispy Treats would be as good as the old ones I made with Kellogg’s cereal.
Well…these Gluten Free Crispy Rice Treats are the BEST ones I’ve ever made! As hubby says, they are dangerous, we couldn’t stop eating them. Just to make sure it wasn’t some sort of fluke, I made another batch which disappeared even faster than the first batch
Since then I made two more batches that I intended to tuck away in the freezer for our Holiday Celebrations but only one of those batches actually made it into the freezer. These days, my sweet tooth is insatiable, I have a feeling the Crispy Rice Treats in the freezer are not going to last. I might be making more of these treats again soon.
A desire for tasty treats like candy, chocolate or the inability to resist the impulses brought on by sweets.
sweet tooth sentence examples:
- Having a very persuasive sweet tooth, makes it difficult to ever get enough cake.
- Hopefully, after I’ve finished my Holiday Baking, there will be an ample supply of confections to satisfy everyone’s “sweet tooth.”
Recipe: The Best Crispy Rice Treats
Summary: These Gluten Free Crispy Rice Treats are the BEST ones I’ve ever made! They are dangerous…we couldn’t stop eating them.
Gluten Free | Vegetarian
Important *** Always refer to packaging labels for the most up to date allergy information.
I used Wal-Mart Great Value Marshmallows they are GF, DF, CF, Egg-Free but are NOT SF or Corn-Free. The Nourishing Gourmet has a refined SF and Corn-Free recipe for homemade Marshmallows Fluffy Honey Sweetened Homemade Marshmallows.
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 5 1/2 Cups miniature marshmallows or 36 large marshmallows, I used Wal-Mart Great Value Marshmallows
- 6 Cups Gluten Free Crispy Rice cereal, I used Natures Path Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Cup GF chocolate chips or use half white chocolate for a marbled effect (optional), I used Hershey’s Chipits Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate Baking Chips
- Note: For best results, make sure marshmallows are fresh and soft.
- Butter or coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Stove Top Directions: In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in Vanilla. Follow remaining steps starting at #5 below.
- Microwave Directions: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 2-3 minutes, stir after 1 1/2 minutes. Microwave cooking times may vary. Cook until smooth, with no lumps remaining. Stir in vanilla.
- Add Gluten Free Crispy Rice cereal. Stir until well coated. Note: Regular Kellogg’s Krispies are NOT Gluten Free.
- Using a wet spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into prepared pan.
- Melt chocolate chips (if using) and drizzle evenly over the Crispy Rice mixture. Using a spatula or knife, spread chocolate in a thin layer over the mixture.
- To melt the chocolate chips, put them in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for 60 seconds. Stir the chocolate chips, return to the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds, depending on how close they are to being melted. Repeat as needed, stirring each time. Stop heating the chocolate chips when they’re slightly more than half melted and stir until smooth.
- For a marbled effect (as shown on the right) melt the regular and white chocolate chips in separate bowls. Using a spatula or knife, first spread the regular chocolate in a thin layer over the rice cereal mixture. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the Crispy Rice mixture and run the edge of a clean knife or skewer through the chocolate until you get the desired effect.
- Allow the Crispy Rice mixture to cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve immediately or freeze.
- To freeze, place in layers separated by parchment paper or wax paper in airtight container. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Laureen.
Have you seen my Cute Melting Snowman Cookies.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten Free
Number of servings (yield): 24
This posting is linked to the following events:
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com.