Recipe: Coconut Cake :: Easy Like a Sunday Morning
Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
When you taste this quick and easy Coconut Cake, you’ll be blown away! It’s quite possibly the best cake I have ever made in my life. You must give it a try!! Moist and delicious on its own, there’s no need to worry about making a frosting for this cake.
In my last posting, I mentioned wanting to try Elana’s Coconut Bars (Grain-Free) but because I had such good success with transforming my Almond Ginger Chocolate Cake from a recipe for ‘Bars”, I decided to do the same with this recipe.
The changes I made were as follows…I used almond milk (the beverage) because I didn’t have any canned coconut milk on hand. Besides, I think canned coconut milk would have been too heavy for this cake. I reduced the honey to 1/4 cup and still found the cake was sweet enough to distract my insatiable sweet-tooth. I omitted the Stevia but you can add it if you prefer a sweeter tasting cake while keeping the calorie count down. Finally, to complete the transition from bars to cake, I added an extra tablespoon of coconut flour, some baking soda and then my homemade unsweetened kefir yogurt in the hopes that it would interact with the baking soda to give this cake some rise.
It worked out beautifully. Everyone who managed to scoop up a piece before it was gone, loved with this cake! No one suspected it was almost entirely made out of healthy, good for you ingredients. If you’re interested in learning more about the health benefits of coconut, you will find some info on over to Elana’s Site.
Recipe: Coconut Cake
Summary: This cake is so moist and delicious, you won’t believe it’s gluten-free, grain-free and refined sugar-free. For an extra special treat, try a piece of this Coconut Cake warm from the oven along with a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt. Pure bliss!
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Sugar-Free | Vegetarian
Inspired by the Coconut Bars (Grain-Free) at Elana’s Pantry
- 1/2 Cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 Cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 Cup plain unsweetened yogurt (I used my homemade kefir yogurt)
- 3/4 Cup almond milk or coconut milk (the beverage)
- 1/3 Cup coconut oil, slightly melted
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8×8 cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, shredded coconut, baking soda and salt together until well blended.
- In a separate bowl or food processor, gently beat eggs. Add yogurt, milk, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Stir until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients mixture. Stir until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake at 350° F for 35-40 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown with edges pulling away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 10-15 minutes before gently transferring to a cooling rack.
Recipe by Laureen.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten Free | Grain-Free | Sugar-Free
Number of servings (yield): 16
This posting is linked to the following events:
Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays hosted by Rebecca Jean at Midnight Maniac
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com.
Latest posts by Laureen Fox (see all)
- Announcing the New ‘this Fox Kitchen’ Website - April 12, 2015
- Fox in the Kitchen is on the Move! - April 10, 2015
- Recipe Roundup: 2015 Super Bowl #glutenfree - January 27, 2015
- Review: the Breville Boss – High Velocity Superblender - January 2, 2015