Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
I can’t think of many things that could be easier than this single serving recipe for Grain Free Flat Bread by The Coconut Mama. It literally takes about two minutes to mix the small quantities of a few GF ingredients, 10-12 minutes in the oven and you have two freshly baked pieces of flat bread that look a bit like pancakes. Surprisingly sturdy, these are the perfect size for a breakfast sandwich.
Oh and I should mention that they smell and taste divine! At least they do if you love coconut as much as I do. The almond flour gives this flat bread a slightly grainy texture but to someone living Gluten Free who is also thinking about cutting back on grains, anything bread like is a real treat.
Did I say someone living Gluten Free who is also thinking about cutting back on grains? Could I be referring to myself? Yep, but before I get into the sad story (well it seemed sad to me, I was beginning to feel mighty sorry for myself) let me share Tiffany The Coconut Mama’s recipe for Grain Free Flat Bread and then I’ll try to explain the reasoning behind my diet change and give you an explanation about why I haven’t been blogging these last few weeks.
Recipe: Grain Free Flat Bread
Summary: It literally takes about two minutes to mix small quantities of a few GF ingredients, 10-12 minutes in the oven and you have two freshly baked pieces of flat bread that look like small pancakes. Surprisingly sturdy, the perfect size for a breakfast sandwich.
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Vegetarian
Recipe by: The Coconut Mama
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour or 1 Tablespoon Almond Flour & 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour Mixed Together
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small cookie sheet with parchment paper (this is an important step, as coconut flour tends is sticky).
- Mix coconut flour, sea salt, and baking powder together until combined. Add egg and melted coconut oil and mix well. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid.
- Scoop half the batter on the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to spread batter into a circle the size of a bun. Repeat using the rest of the batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you’re out of Almond Flour, you can quickly make your own by throwing blanched almonds in a blender, food processor or coffee grinder. Process until finely ground, being careful not to over process or you will end up with Almond Butter.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free
Number of servings (yield): 2
I really enjoyed my breakfast sandwich this morning. I’m loving food that doesn’t cause me grief (read severe heartburn, gas, bloating etc…) I’m looking forward to exploring the rest of Tiffany’s Coconut Mama web site to see what other kinds of nifty recipes she might have. Why don’t you pop on over and join me there?
Oh and about my sad story…well, I’ve decided to save it for another blog posting. I will try to write about it tonight or tomorrow but in the meantime, here is a really good article about How to get off bread & sugar by Sherry at the Domestic Diva.