Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin Chai Smoothie
Before we get into today’s recipe, I have to share a picture of my darling 2 1/2 year-old grandson wearing his Halloween costume.
When we asked him what he was going to be for Halloween, he said “broccoli”! We all offered him some more common suggestions…fireman, policeman, super hero…there was no changing his mind. He was adamant, he wanted to be broccoli.
Luckily for him, his other grandparents are very talented. They constructed this cute “Broccoli Costume” for him. Look at him, isn’t he a doll? And I’ve got news to share. Our little man will be a big brother very soon. His mom, our daughter, is expecting a baby in a couple of weeks.
Now, for the latest addition to my recipe family, I made this amazing Roasted Pumpkin Chai Smoothie. As you may have guessed, a few of my latest posts have led up to this concoction. First I made Roasted Pumpkin Puree and froze it. Then I created a Handcrafted Chai Spice Mix. Perfect ingredients for this nutritious breakfast smoothie.
Are you thinking a Smoothie in Autumn? Who says a Smoothie is cooling, why can’t it be considered warming? Roasted Pumpkin, isn’t that reminiscent of late Autumn mornings spent in front of a roaring fire? And Chai Spices, aren’t they considered warming spices?
Anyways, I’m in love with this Smoothie and pumpkin is sooo good for the body! Even the Chai Spices bring health benefits with their antibacterial properties, they can help ward off illness.
Now, as for the name…I guess if I were honest, I would call it a Baked Pumpkin Chai Smoothie because that is what the pumpkin is. Baked in the oven. That just doesn’t have a very nice ring to it tho…does it? I tell you, I’m turning into a foodie blogger who enjoys posting recipes with names that have a touch of romance to them.
Play along with me okay. Close your eyes for a moment and think about a lazy autumn morning spent sitting in front of a roaring fire. You’re sitting there sipping on a Roasted Pumpkin Chai Smoothie. There, now run to the kitchen and get started on making that vision a reality
Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin Chai Smoothie
Summary: This Smoothie tastes like a chilled cross between a Starbucks seasonal Pumpkin Latte and a Tazo Chai Tea Latte but without the high-priced latte bit.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Sugar Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Vegan | Vegetarian | Paleo
- 1 slice fresh ginger, peeled and frozen***omit if your spice mixture has ground ginger (or leave it in if you love ginger like I do)
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Pumpkin Puree, frozen into small cubes
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 Cup almond milk, or coconut milk, or milk substitute of choice
- 1 tsp maple syrup, or honey, or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp gluten free Chai Spice Mixture
- 1 – 2 tsp almond butter***omit for nut allergies, use less if you prefer the pumpkin flavour to shine through, use more for a creamier nut butter taste
- Plain unsweetened yogurt, or vegan/paleo Coconut Whipped topping for garnish (optional)
- Place everything but yogurt or whipped topping in the blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into your favorite glass and place a couple of tablespoons of coconut whipped cream on top. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg or cinnamon if desired
- Add 1-2 Tbsp Kefir (for the healthy probiotic)
Recipe by Laureen
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan | Vegetarian | Paleo
Diet tags: Gluten Free | Grain Free | Sugar Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free
Number of servings (yield): 1
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
This post is linked to the following events:
Healthy 2Day Wednesdays hosted by Anne at Authentic Simplicity
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com.