Recipe: “Cream” of Caramelized Onion and Cauliflower Soup
Easy Like a Sunday Morning, that’s how the recipes in my “Easy” category will be. Nothing rushed or frantic, nothing with a long list of ingredients. Something that is so easy, you don’t really need a recipe. Something that almost cooks itself or requires no cooking at all.
This recipe came about after I spotted this Caramelised Three Onion, Cauliflower Soup With Basil Oil picture on Pinterest and I just happened to have a head of cauliflower that I needed to find a use for.
Megan has some really great Paleo recipes over on the Health Bent site! I want to try the Three Onion version of this soup but I never remember to pick up leeks from the Produce Store. I highly recommend hopping on over to check out her site and while you’re there, get her recipe for the Basil Oil. It is superb when drizzled over soups!
Do you like to add toppings to your soups? It’s something we in the Fox Household started doing some time ago. So long ago, it seems almost essential now, especially with purée soups like this one. That bit of extra colour, flavour and/or crunch takes it up notch. Gives it a touch of gourmet. Takes it from ho-hum to yum-yum in my books.
I originally intended to serve this soup with a Fennel Orange and Sesame Salad by Gluten Free Cat but I came up short on time and ingredients. I did mange to toss together some romaine lettuce, chopped fennel, cucumber, red onion and grapefruit sections. Drizzled with a quick blend of apple cider vinegar and olive oil, the salad ended up being a nice crunchy compliment to this creamed soup.
For the bread, I made our favourite cornbread muffins. The BEST GLUTEN-FREE CORNBREAD WE HAVE EATEN recipe comes from gluten-free girl and the chef. We have this cornbread so often, I have gotten in the habit of tossing together an extra batch of dry ingredients to keep on hand for those times when I’m short on time. With only a couple of wet ingredients to add to the mix, we can have freshly baked cornbread muffins in almost no time at all.
Recipe: “Cream” of Caramelised Onion and Cauliflower Soup
Summary: This simple yet flavourful soup is really quick and easy to put together. Serve it with a fresh crispy salad and some GF bread, buns or cornbread muffins because you’ll want to soak up every last drop of this soup.
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Egg Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Paleo
Inspired by Caramelised Three Onion, Cauliflower Soup With Basil Oil recipe by Megan at Health Bent.
- 1 onion, peeled, sliced and caramelised
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- 4 Cups GF vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
Soup Toppings (optional)
- Place a few drops of oil in a saucepan, add slices of onion, sauté on med-low until the onion is caramelized (about 30 minutes).
- Place the cauliflower and vegetable stock in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Puree cauliflower with the stock and caramelised onions until nice and creamy.
- Return mixture to the soup pot, add coconut milk, heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat and serve.
- Caramelized Onions freeze well. Make extra caramelised onions, freeze in ice-cube trays or pressed out flat in a zip-lock style freezer bag. You can pop out an ice-cube or break off a small chunk of frozen caramelised onions to flavour soups, stews, sauces and gravies.
- The first time I made this soup, I forgot to add the coconut milk but we still really enjoyed the soup. If you’re all out of coconut milk or would prefer not to use it, I would say just leave it out.
Recipe by Laureen
Diet type: Vegan | Vegetarian | Paleo
Diet tags: Gluten Free | Grain Free | Egg Free | Dairy Free | Sugar Free
Number of servings (yield): 4-6
This recipe featured at
This posting is linked to the following events:
Cast Party Wednesdayhosted by Sheryl at Lady Behind The Curtain
It’s a Keeper Thursday hosted by Christina at It’s a Keeper
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com.
Latest posts by Laureen Fox (see all)
- Blogpost: God’s Little Acre Farm - June 16, 2014
- Recipe: Chopped Salad With Apple Cider Vinaigrette - June 10, 2014
- Recipe and Review: Roasted Strawberry Parfait With Nonuttin’ Granola - June 7, 2014