Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Roasted Mixed Nuts
A few weeks ago, I picked up some Spicy Mixed Nuts from Chef Kev at the Granville Island Public Market in Vancouver. We ran out of the mixed nuts in no time at all. They were so good, I decided to try my hand at making some of my own.
This recipe makes mixed nuts that are sweeter than Chef Kev’s but they’re still delicious. Some members of the Fox Household actually prefer the Sweeter ones to the Spicy Mixed Nuts from Granville Island.
A quick and easy recipe for roasted mixed nuts that anyone would be happy to receive as an edible gift. Put some of the mixed nuts in a glass jar, tie a pretty holiday ribbon around the jar and you’re all set.
Recipe: Sweet & Spicy Roasted Mixed Nuts
Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegan | Vegetarian
Summary: This recipe makes roasted mixed nuts that are more sweet than spicy. If you would like more spice, try reducing the sugar or maple syrup by a Tbsp and increase the cayenne pepper by 1/4 tsp at a time until you reach the desired spiciness.
- 4 Cups raw unsalted mixed nuts, I used almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and pecan halves
- 5 Tbsp pure maple syrup (I use Kirkland Brand-Medium Amber)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar, or brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 lime, about 2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a 7 x 11 oven safe glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place mixed nuts in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix maple syrup, brown sugar, lime, oil, pepper, paprika and cayenne. If you’re thinking about adjusting the seasoning, now would be the time to do it. Dip a raw nut into the liquid mixture, taste it and added more sugar or cayenne. Note: I added the salt later because I wanted my mixed nuts to have some salt crystals on them.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the mixed nuts and stir well.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is very hot and bubbly. Remove dish from oven, add sesame seeds, stir well. Return dish to the oven for another 5-7 minutes, watch carefully, you don’t want the nuts to burn.
- As soon as the nuts come out of the oven, sprinkle with some of the coarse sea salt, stir, taste. Add more coarse salt as needed.
- Immediately transfer the nuts to a parchment lined plate to cool. Best if stored in the fridge, use within a week or two.
Making roasted mixed nuts is quick and easy and I’m sure anyone on your list, would be happy to receive these nuts as an edible gift. Fill a glass jar with the roasted nuts, tie a pretty holiday ribbon around the jar and you’re all set.
- If you like more spice, try reducing the sugar or maple syrup by a Tbsp and increase the cayenne pepper by 1/4 tsp at a time until you reach the desired spiciness.
- I also think some ground chipolte pepper would be very good in the spice mixture for this recipe but I didn’t have any on hand to try.
- Try using a different nut variety, or add seeds to the nut mixture. Pistachio nuts come to mind, as do pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I bet you could even add dried cherries or cranberries to the mix.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan | Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free
Number of servings (yield): 4 Cups
Recipe by Laureen.
This posting is linked to the following events:
Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki from Diet, Desserts and Dogs
Allergy Friendly Friday hosted by Cybele Pascal
It’s a Keeper Thursday hosted by Christina at It’s a Keeper
Family Time Tuesday hosted by Janice at Celebrating Family
Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe Party – Day 1 hosted by Jen at Tatertots and Jello
Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe Party – Day 2 hosted by Nikki at chef in training
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com
Latest posts by Laureen Fox (see all)
- Recipe Roundup: For a Gluten Free Thanksgiving - November 25, 2014
- Blogpost: Food Bloggers of Canada #FBC2014 - October 27, 2014
- Review: Nordic Ware Eggs Plus Pan & Microwaveable Prep and Serve Bowl Set - October 14, 2014