I didn’t post anything last week. Had a little bout of Writer’s Block…haha that sounds so funny for me to say. Am I a writer? I have this blog, which thanks to all of you, is gaining in popularity, it hit 500 Likes on Facebook a few days ago! That’s quite a milestone. I remember how happy it made me to get 100 Likes. This latest Facebook milestone is 5 times the pleasure.
Next milestone to hit is 1000 but me, a writer? I write and publish on this blog. People seem to like it. Therefore I am a writer???
Anyhow, it’s almost Mother’s Day and I’m not ready. I didn’t put together any new recipes for you to fix up for Mom, or for yourself if you’re the only gluten free baker in the family.
I was working on making a nice gluten free, refined sugar-free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble for you but I messed up the ingredients. It was a flop. Great, can’t write, can’t cook…bleh. What a week.
On the bright side…ever the optimist The weather has been warmer, the days are getting longer and my lilacs are in full bloom! So fragrant. Had my morning cup of tea out on the back deck today. So lovely.
I love Mother’s Day not only for the opportunity to show Mom some love but because it’s such a lovely time of year (see above) and it always falls near my birthday on May 15th. I can always count on getting the kids together for a Family Gathering and that is my most favourite thing in all the world…did I just sound like a three-year old? Must be spending too much time with the grandson.
So nothing new for me to share but let me try to put together a list of simple easy to fix ideas for you to serve on Mother’s Day or Birthdays (hint hint kids). Oh and what fun would it be without gifts? Here’s a little list of gift ideas for foodie Moms (like me)…
- Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation [hardcover] US$ 16.25 | CAD$ 14.75 by Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma
- The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs [hardcover] US$ 20.27 | CAD$ 24.14 by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg
- Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health [hardcover] US$ 14.29 | CAD$ 14.65 by William Davis
- The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living [hardcover] US$ 23.73 | CAD$ 25.07 by Mark Bittman, author of How to Cook Everything (Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition)
- The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet: Know What Goes Into Every Bite with More Than 200 of the Most Deliciously Nutritious Homemade Baby Food … More Than 60 Purees Your Baby Will Love [paperback] US$ 11.70 | CAD$ 15.87 by Karin Knight, R.N.
- New Granville Island Market Cookbook: [paperback] US$18.96 | CAD$ 15.64 by Judie Glick and Carol Jensson
- Gluten-Free Girl Every Day: [hardcover] US$ 17.72 | CAD$ 22.56 by Shauna James Ahern.
Mom would love Gift Cards for her favourite…
- Restaurants: Gluten-Free-friendly ones of course. Check with Mom to find out which ones she favours. In the Vancouver region, mine would be The Noodle Box (also in Victoria), White Spot (60 locations in BC and Alberta), Me-n-Eds Pizza Parlors (Burnaby, Coquitlam, PoCo, Langley and Abbotsford), The Keg Steakhouse and Bar (across Canada and the US) and Edible Canada at the Market – Bistro. Websites like The Celiac Scene and Urbanspoon, are fantastic resources for finding local restaurants that are gluten-free friendly.
- Gluten Free Bakeries: two of my favourites are Cloud 9 Specialty Bakery and Choices Markets Rice Bakery. You will find more Gluten Free Bakeries in the Vancouver region (ones that attended the 2013 Gluten Free Expo) listed on this post.
- Tea or Coffee shops: hands down my favourite is DAVIDs Tea. I was going to include a link for Starbucks too but they don’t have the greatest reputation for being gluten-free friendly…boo
- Mom’s favourite clothing stores: if Mom has special needs or is elderly, I recommend Silvert’s Adaptive Clothing and Footwear (Canada and US).
- Natural (gluten free) Lotions and Cosmetics: such as Nourish Organic Skincare, or Fruit pigmented cosmetics at 100% Pure.
- Kitchen Stores: have this magnetic effect on foodies…we’re drawn in to them, all of them! Even the online ones If I had to pick a favourite, I would say Cookworks.
These are gluten free recipes but please review and confirm they meet your (or your mom’s) dietary requirements before you begin and always refer to packaging labels for the most up to date allergy information
- Cranberry Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies [Gluten Free | Vegetarian]
- Coconut Cake [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- Lazy Daisy Cake [Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- One Minute Single Serve Chocolate Almond Cake [Gluten Free | Egg Free | Vegetarian]
- Peanut Butter Butterscotch Mounds [Gluten Free | Vegetarian]
- Watermelon Strawberry Pops With Fresh Mint [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Sugar Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Vegan (option) | Vegetarian]
- Peach Mango Creamsicles [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan]
- Cinnamon Pecan Streusel Muffins [Gluten Free | Refined Sugar Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free (option) | Vegetarian]
- Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes For Two [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- Single Serve Grain Free Cheese Bun [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- Aunt Glo’s Spinach Salad And Dressing [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free (option) | Vegetarian | Vegan]
- Chickpea And Grape Tomato Salad [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- Kohlrabi Mango Mint Salad (with variations) [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan | Omnivore (option)]
- Quinoa Salad With Buckwheat And Edamame [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan]
- Mexican Lasagna [Gluten Free | Sugar Free | Egg Free | Vegetarian | Omnivore (option)]
- Roasted Vegetables With Fresh Rosemary [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Sugar Free | Vegan | Vegetarian]
- Baked Salsa Chicken Breasts [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free (option) | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Omnivore]
- Roasted Wedge Fries With Fresh Rosemary [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan]
- Salmon Cakes [Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Refined Sugar Free | Omnivore]
- Honey Pecan Glazed Salmon [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Omnivore]
- Cabbage Un-Roll Casserole [Gluten Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Omnivore]
- Crustless Quinoa Veggie Pie [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian]
- Happy Mother’s Day Paleo Banana Bread (Baked In a Jar) [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free (option) | Refined Sugar Free (except for Chocolate Chips) | Vegetarian]
- Strawberry Rosemary Sun-Tea [Gluten Free | Grain Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Vegan]
Wishing all of the Mom’s out there a Happy Mother’s Day!
To see a text listing of Laureen’s gluten free recipes, click here
For dairy, egg, nut and gluten free flour substitutions, click here
Scientific research has shown that if women take 0.4 mg of Folic Acid 3-4 months prior to and during pregnancy, the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida is reduced by up to 75%. Please consult your physician to determine what is the right amount of Folic Acid for you.
This post is linked to the following events:
Disclaimer: this post includes some affiliate links. If you order by clicking the links, the cost to you will be the same, but I may receive a small stipend for referring you. It’s my way of supporting this blogging habit of mine. Thank you for your support!
Copyright © foxinthekitchenblog.com